If this doesn’t convince you that the Timothy Geithner knew about the securities shenanigans that were going on at Lehman, than I don’t know what will.
Keep in mind, that Geithner ran Lehman through 3 “stress tests” prior to bankruptcy; all of which Lehman failed, and yet, nothing was done. Anton R. Valukas–the examiner who wrote the 2,200 page investigative-report which was released on Thursday– has provided plenty of information detailing Lehman’s “materially misleading” accounting and “actionable balance sheet manipulation.”
In other words, they cooked the books.
Eves Smith at Naked Capitalism sums up what was going on like this:
“Quite a few observers… have been stunned and frustrated at the refusal to investigate what was almost certain accounting fraud at Lehman. ….The unraveling isn’t merely implicating Fuld (Lehman CEO) and his recent succession of CFOs, or its accounting firm, Ernst & Young, as might be expected. It also emerges that the NY Fed, and thus Timothy Geithner, were at a minimum massively derelict in the performance of their duties, and may well be culpable in aiding and abetting Lehman in accounting fraud and Sarbox violations….
We need to demand an immediate release of the e-mails, phone records, and meeting notes from the NY Fed and key Lehman principals regarding the NY Fed’s review of Lehman’s solvency. If, as things appear now, Lehman was allowed by the Fed’s inaction to remain in business, when the Fed should have insisted on a wind-down ….. at a minimum, the NY Fed helped perpetuate a fraud on investors and counterparties.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Yves Smith: NY Fed Under Geithner Implicated in Lehman Accounting Fraud (huffingtonpost.com)
- Lehmans: What the papers say (accountancyage.com)
- NY Fed Under Geithner Implicated in Lehman Accounting Fraud Allegation (firedoglake.com)
- Lehman Examiner Finds Fraud — Probably (curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com)
- Ernst & Young May Face Liability in Lehman Case (nytimes.com)
- Lehman’s Accounting Deception (seekingalpha.com)
- “Geithner’s Lehman Brothers Fraud Problem” and related posts (blogsforvictory.com)
- Lehman’s Bankruptcy and “Repo 105″ could lead to criminal charges for many (crooksandliars.com)
- Top executives at Lehman Brothers could face court (newstatesman.com)
- Lehman Report: The Business Decisions That Brought Lehman Down (dailyfinance.com)
- Lehman Brothers, the next Enron? (investmentpostcards.com)
- The Fraud Started At The Very Top
- Subprime Securities Suit Against Toll Brothers Settles for $25 Million
- State Street may face SEC charges over mortgages
- Fraud-closure biz fizzles out
- First person accused of TARP fraud